Friday, March 30, 2007

Finally finished something

Those socks that I started at the beginning of March? At last they're finished. It's almost embarrassing that they took me this long to complete, given that they're plain stockinette. I just have to remind myself that there was a two week holiday from knitting in there.

Yarn: Regia Strato in Orion (5741)
Pattern: Plain stockinette worked over 64 stitches, 2x2 ribbed cuff, slip stitch heel
Needles: Size 0 DPNs

Plain stockinette is good for the soul. Especially when the stripes (mostly) match up.

Let's see, these socks are the fourth ones I've made with Regia Strato. One might conclude (wrongly) that Strato is my favorite sock yarn. I like it just fine, but the reason I've knit so many socks out of it is that I have so freaking much of the stuff. When Webs put it on sale for crazy cheap last summer, let's just say I went a bit wild. I may be knitting Strato socks in perpetuity. (The Professor thinks I must have been a squirrel in a former life, such is my propensity to hoard collect "provisions." You should see my pantry.)

It's funny that the Yarn Harlot mentioned yesterday about her recent ordeal about knitting on an airplane, because I had almost the opposite experience a few weeks ago. I was happily knitting away on the flight from DFW to LAX when the flight attendant came by handing out napkins and pretzels. Upon noticing what I was doing, she exclaimed, "Those needles are so small! You must be really good."

I demurred good-naturedly, of course. After all, I was only working on plain stockinette socks. She went on to tell me how she enjoys knitting scarves, but on much larger needles. "There are so many great yarns these days," she explained. I fervently agreed, even though I'm almost certain that we were each thinking of different types of yarns (her: synthetic novelty yarns; me: fine wool, alpaca, cashmere, silk, etc.). Our knitting talk went on long enough that I half wondered whether she would just sit down next to me. (I wonder what other passengers were thinking.) In any case, it was refreshing and wonderful to meet another enthusiastic knitter so unexpectedly.

Now it's time to move on to a new project. (We shall not speak of the Urban Aran yet.) My sock rotation of late has gone something like this: (1) knit a pair for the Professor; (2) knit a pair for myself. Repeat steps (1) and (2). Since these latest Strato socks are for him, I had been planning to knit Monkey next for myself. And then...

I remembered that my niece's birthday is in April. Since the socks I'd sent my sister's children for Christmas were so well received, I decided I'd make them each a pair for their birthdays too. My niece is turning seven, and she is the girliest of girls. When I bought this yarn, it was with her in mind.

Smoky Mountain Fibers superwash sock yarn in Rosewood

It will be almost like knitting a pair of socks for myself, though. My niece may be not quite seven, but her feet are almost as large as mine. She's already taller than a lot of kids twice her age. Really, I'm amazed that universities aren't already recruiting her for basketball and volleyball.

3 Comments:

At 3/31/07, 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed with the stripe-matching action going on with those socks! That pink is so delightfully girly; she's going to love them.

 
At 4/2/07, 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also impressed by all that stripey goodness! I don't usually like Regia colorways, but those are cute with their perfect one-row stripes.

 
At 4/13/07, 1:30 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

WTF? I don't know what made me do it, but I clicked on your "main" link and then showed up a bunch of posts that you've written that I've never seen. Stupid Bloglines!!

Those socks are GREAT! I like that Regia Strato. I obviously need to try it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home