Sunday, June 24, 2007

It's not easy being green

It has been a week since I finished my last pair of socks, but I have not yet cast on for Thelonious. My fingers are aching for the tiny needles, so what's taking me so long? Well, if you must know, I can't decide on which yarn to use!

(Click here for descriptions.)

My sock pal likes greens and earthy colors, and she has no preference between solid and multicolored yarns. The original plan was to knit Thelonious in the Lorna's Laces pictured above, but now I'm not so sure. There are so many other yarns in my stash that also would fit the bill.

A solid yarn would certainly show off the pattern best—a great argument for sticking with the original plan. But I've seen a few examples (like this and this) of the pattern knit in a variegated yarn, and they look great too. What to do, what to do?


The good news is that Print O' The Wave has been getting all of my attention for a week. Today I'll be able to graft the center panels together. Then I'll probably need a little time (and maybe some liquid fortification) to contemplate picking up all those stitches for the inner border.

6 Comments:

At 6/24/07, 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say, just close your eyes, stick your hand into your stash, and just grab a color, LOL. I had to do something similar to that in order to get started with my sock swap buddy's socks. Worked like a charm! ;-)

 
At 6/24/07, 1:46 PM, Blogger Angeluna said...

They are all gorgeous, so you can hardly go wrong. I suppose I would vote for a semi-solid first time out.

 
At 6/25/07, 12:14 AM, Blogger bookgrump said...

You have what Angeluna and I know to be stash paralysis. You just sit and look at all the beautiful yarn and can't decide.

Unfortunately, there's no cure except for gritting your teeth, closing your eyes, and blindly snatching one of the best options.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of these.

I'm a big help, aren't I? :)

 
At 6/25/07, 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love them all! Maybe I like the earthy Fearless Fibers the best? I think that the colors are similar enough in value to not distract from the pattern.

 
At 6/26/07, 1:33 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

I must admit that I prefer Thelonius in a solid or semi-solid yarn. All the yarn looks like it would work great for your pal! I would probably go with the LL/

 
At 6/27/07, 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! I just cast on my first Thelonius. I'll have to watch your progress.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home