Sunday, August 12, 2007

I've got new socks!

My Sockapalooza package came on Friday! Many thanks to Sally (sans blog) for her hard work and thoughtfulness.
sockapalooza loot
In addition to the gorgeous socks, Sally sent me a sheep tape measure, an adorable sheep note card ("Maaaa, can I be a sweater when I grow up"), a postcard, and a couple of items relating to her home in Kentucky (including a card from the local yarn shop—very important information for any traveling knitter to have). Do you want to see how well the socks fit? You know you do.
sockapalooza
They're perfect! The yarn is extremely soft and has a slight sheen. I assumed there must be some silk in it. Sally tells me the yarn is TOFUtsies, so it's actually soysilk that adds the bit of shine. It's lovely stuff—and a great choice for anyone who lives in a warmer climate.

Now, I've made many pairs of socks in the past year, but this is the first pair of handmade socks I've ever worn that weren't made by me. I feel so privileged to be the recipient of the product of another knitter's talent. Thanks again, Sally!

(BTW, the Sockapalooza socks I made arrived safely at their destination. The Knitted Bookworm tells me I fretted needlessly over the color difference.)

There is another pair of new socks in the house.
trek 90 ur done
Yarn: Trekking XXL, color 90
Pattern: Undulating Rib by Ann Budd, from the Interweave book Favorite Socks
Needles: size 0 (2.00 mm) DPNs
Modifications: I only used the undulating rib pattern for the cuffs of the socks. The I continued the K3, p1, k1, p1 ribbing down the rest of the sock. This idea was one I shamelessly ripped off from the Yarn Harlot.
trek 90 ur close
I'm thrilled with the way these socks turned out. I even dig how one sock has slightly more muted colors than the other one. The socks clearly go together, but each one has its own personality. This pair will be put away to be gifted at a later date.

Since the Trekking socks were my only WIP, I have of course cast on for something new. Here's a sneak preview.
fearless fibers superwash merino sock yarn
Fearless Fibers Superwash Merino Sock Yarn, "Prosperity"

6 Comments:

At 8/12/07, 2:34 PM, Blogger Angeluna said...

Your Sockapalooza socks are just wonderful. Which pattern is it? And are they reasonably stretchy? Enquiring minds want to know.

 
At 8/12/07, 5:48 PM, Blogger bookgrump said...

You're very lucky to have received such beautiful socks. And they fit so well!

I'm glad your pal liked the ones that you made too. They were beautiful!

I can't wait to see what you're creating next!

 
At 8/12/07, 9:26 PM, Blogger Emma said...

Gorgeous socks! My guess is Waving Lace.

 
At 8/13/07, 6:21 PM, Blogger Jeri said...

Yea for socks!!
They're good to get and good to knit.

 
At 8/14/07, 6:05 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Two pairs of beautiful socks! I love the subtle colors of the Trekking.

 
At 8/23/07, 8:31 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

Great Sockapalooza socks & gifts. I may have to participate in that next year.

LOVE the trekking socks, even if you "stole" from the Yarn Harlot. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home