Thursday, November 15, 2007

I should stop knitting green socks

The modified Cable Rib socks are finished. Overall I'm pleased, but once again I'm plagued with color variations in the green yarn. (Apologies for the low light photos. I also used the wrong setting on my camera and was to lazy to retake the pics.)

cr done

Pattern: Cable Rib Socks by Erica Alexander (from Interweave's Favorite Socks)
Yarn: Regia Silk, Moss 070
Needles: US size 1.5 (2.50 mm) DPNs
Modifications: Used a braid on the leg instead of the specified cable and did not run the cable all the way to the top of the cuff.

cr leg close
So, the yarn. When I started knitting the second sock, I noticed some yellow bits of fiber that I had not noticed in the first skein. I didn't think much of it at the time. Then when I finished the second sock and compared it to the first, I saw the difference. One sock definitely had a more yellow cast than the other.

I had bought the yarn from an extremely reliable online source, and honestly, it never occurred to me to check the lots when the yarn arrived. Sure enough, when I went back and checked the labels, the lots were different. Drat! These socks will be a gift for my dad, and I wanted them to be, well, perfect. It's a good thing he's of a certain age, and his eyesight isn't so, well, perfect.

(For those who are curious, the extremely reliable online source did make things right.)

What a nice surprise Regia Silk is, though! It has a lovely hand, nice stitch definition, and good grief, it's affordable. Since it comes in a nice range of solids, this may become my go-to "man yarn" (except for the Professor, whose taste in socks runs a bit wilder than that of the average man).

cr gusset close
Don't forget to enter the contest! Really, the odds of winning are quite good.

8 Comments:

At 11/15/07, 5:42 PM, Blogger Bea said...

I can't even tell in the picture that they are different. They just look good to me!

 
At 11/15/07, 6:11 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

Very nice socks! I can see the difference, but I don't think it would bother me. I'm glad the vendor made things right, though. I've never used Regia Silk, but I've heard it praised before. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

 
At 11/15/07, 6:47 PM, Blogger Lori said...

I see a slight difference, but I hardly think your dad will mind. After all, they are handknit socks - I mean really, who's to complain? And I lovelovelove the cable on that sock!

 
At 11/15/07, 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell him it's so he can wear his socks evenly, one day one is on the right, then the next time it will be on the left. Then he can enjoy them longer.

 
At 11/16/07, 1:08 PM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

I didn't even notice the yellow cast until you pointed it out. I love the braid you put on the socks. No worries about the green. I think each of us has a color we use more than others. Personally, I think they are perfect!

I agree with your review of the Regia Silk. Although I've only knit one pair of socks with it, I'm looking forward to doing more. Your dad will absolutely love these.

 
At 11/16/07, 4:43 PM, Blogger chocolatetrudi said...

Beautiful socks! I, too, only noticed the slight difference in colour after you pointed it out. Love the green. Stop knitting green? If you like it, knit as much as you like.

I had to move all my clothes into a new wardrobe the other day and, for the fun of it, I lined up my socks according to colour and it was clear there was a lack of green. That needs to be addressed, I think.

 
At 11/17/07, 10:01 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Great socks! I'll have to be on the lookout for Regia Silk. They have a very nice sheen. The braid is a great touch.

 
At 11/17/07, 10:48 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

I can only tell because you pointed it out. But it probably is more evident in real life. They still are very nice socks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home