Saturday, January 12, 2008

Spinning my wheel

I've been more or less neglecting my knitting all week in favor of spinning. Here's the latest.

prs 3ply skein
Fiber: Pigeonroof Studios corriedale roving, colorway "Green Ocean"
Yards: 380 (3-ply)
WPI: 20
Weight: 90 grams

prs 3ply skein close
Drat, I keep forgetting to photograph my rovings before I rip them apart and start spinning. This is what the roving looked like, and oh my, it was a lovely thing. I now completely understand why Pigeonroof Studios rovings sell out so quickly.

Alas, I am still a beginner, and this yarn is not everything I wanted it to be. For one thing, I overspun it a bit, so it's a little, um, firmer than I would like it to be. I think I was worried about the fine singles breaking during plying, so I overcompensated with too much twist. The yarn isn't exactly twine, but nor does it have the squishy wooliness I would have preferred. At least it should wear well.

This is my first foray into 3-ply, and all in all, it was a success. Once again, though, I spun one of my singles quite a bit thicker than the other two, which explains why this skein is only 90 grams. The original roving was 4.3 oz (122 grams). I did ply the remains of the other two singles together to come up with 175 yards of heavy-ish laceweight.

prs 3ply skein close2
All in all, though, I am pleased. With every skein, I see improvement in my spinning, and I can't ask for more than that. Plus I'm having lots of fun to boot.

The next spinning project is already well in hand. Just look at that evenly wound bobbin. Oh Woolee Winder, how I love thee!

cm swm bobbin1

9 Comments:

At 1/12/08, 4:37 PM, Blogger Bea said...

So Pretty!

 
At 1/12/08, 7:15 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Oooooohhhhh....gorgeous!

 
At 1/12/08, 7:18 PM, Blogger Edie said...

you're doing great!! I love all the colors too.

 
At 1/13/08, 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, very pretty!

 
At 1/13/08, 11:01 AM, Blogger Angeluna said...

Ooooh, pretty stuff. You were born to this.

 
At 1/14/08, 12:53 AM, Blogger ~Kristie said...

If you're thinking it's too tight, go ahead and send it to me ... it's gorgeous!! You absolutely positively are a natural born spinner. Someday I'll say "I knew you when"

 
At 1/14/08, 11:26 AM, Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Very nice!! I need to get a woolee winder, it looks like it does a fantastic job. :)

 
At 1/14/08, 10:48 PM, Blogger kelp! said...

Yeah, your spinning looks pretty awesome at this point. I have a braid of a very similar colorway, and here's hoping my yarn turns out that good!

 
At 1/16/08, 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the mint and maize color scheme.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home