Saturday, February 02, 2008

Inevitably, more yarn

So, the general consensus from my last post is that I don't in fact have a problem, and I don't need to slow down on the spinning. What enablers you all are! I very much appreciate all the kind comments about the last yarn. (I do try to respond to all comments, so if I didn't reply to yours, it's most likely because I couldn't find an email address for you.)

One of the things I love about spinning is the almost magical transformation of colors from fiber to yarn. Many times the finished yarn looks nothing like I imagined it would...and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Take this fiber, for example.

fck an bfl roving
It seems to be a somewhat even mixture of purple, blue, brown, and white. The blue actually pops quite a bit. And here's what it looks like all spun up.

fck an skein
Yes, the blue is definitely still there, but this yarn is all about the purple. Purple is not normally one of my favorite colors; however, I'm thrilled with this yarn. I particularly like how the brown tones down the brighter colors a bit.

fck an strands
Fiber: Blue Faced Leicester from Fat Cat Knits, "Arabesque at Night" colorway
2 ply
250 yards
102 grams

fck an swirl
I spun this yarn a bit more softly than the merinos I had spun previously, and I think that was a good decision. This skein just begs to be squeezed.

There should be some knitting in my next post—not necessarily finished knitting, but knitting nonetheless. Really.

9 Comments:

At 2/2/08, 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make me want to learn how to spin. Your yarns are gorgeous!

 
At 2/2/08, 4:17 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Yes I don't know why you thought you needed an intervention. This is quite lovely. (Even if it is blue!) Besides you wouldn't want to start a second stash...hem hem...

 
At 2/2/08, 4:23 PM, Blogger Carole Knits said...

It's beautiful. Don't you love BFL?

 
At 2/2/08, 7:16 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Beautiful! I can't believe how different handspun yarn looks from the roving.

I hope the spinning bug isn't catching, though, since I don't have any more room in my urban apt!

 
At 2/2/08, 9:09 PM, Blogger Lori said...

So glad to hear you're not giving up on us... looking forward to watching your beautiful handspun stash grow... This one is very nice as well - you know, if you really don't like purples, you can send it to me...

 
At 2/3/08, 10:17 AM, Blogger Oiyi said...

I agree with Liz419. You are making me want to learn to spin!! I just don't have room for a spindle nor the time. Sigh!!

 
At 2/3/08, 11:04 AM, Blogger LizKnits said...

I love these fiber-to-yarn pictures. I'm just ready to start spinning and looking at fibers I have NO idea what I'm going to get. Hopefully the more I see pic like yours, the more I'll learn. It's good to hear that even a spinner like you gets suprised sometimes too.

 
At 2/4/08, 3:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would've never thought I was going to like the finished yarn after seeing the roving photo, but WOW it's beautiful. It's so great to see your photo montage of your spinning.

You're also making me want to learn to spin. Not that I think I can create anything close to the beauty you make, but just because.

I sure hope I don't try and buy a drop spindle at Stitches West.

 
At 2/4/08, 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home