Thursday, February 14, 2008

Twins

Most of us are familiar fraternal twin socks, so please allow me to present fraternal twin skeins. Considering my sock knitting history, producing fraternal twins seems to be in my blood...probably because I have a fraternal twin sister. (Am I the only one who thinks we should be sororal twin sisters?)

cmf utb skein twins
But I digress. The skeins really aren't that different. The second skein (on the left) is a bit darker than the first, but it should be clear to anyone with functioning color vision that these two are siblings. They were born from this roving.

cmf utb roving
Half of it was greens and browns with a little red, and the other half was mainly red and white with a bit of brown. I spun it up according to Teyani's method (more or less), and I must admit that I'm thrilled with the results.

cmf utb swirl1
For the record, skein #2 is 118 grams, 350 yards. Also for the record, Crown Mountain Farms hand dyed superwash merino is fiber crack—lovely, affordable, addictive. It just is.

cmf utb skein2 macro
Technically there's enough yardage to get a pair of socks out of each skein (especially for my size 7 feet), but I'm still aiming for 100+ yards per ounce in my sock yarn spinning. I've only achieved it once, but I know I'll get there.

cmf utb swirl skein2
Really, I can't be disappointed with this. I won't let myself.

14 Comments:

At 2/14/08, 6:16 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

So gorgeous! Absolutely no disappointment allowed. :-)

 
At 2/14/08, 6:21 PM, Blogger aija said...

Oh, my gosh. They are stunning!!!

 
At 2/14/08, 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, you must stop this. The reason I want to spin is because I love Crown Mountain Farms yarn.

That yarn is stunning. You rock!

 
At 2/14/08, 7:04 PM, Blogger Bea said...

So so pretty.

 
At 2/14/08, 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both skeins are gorgeous!

 
At 2/14/08, 7:56 PM, Blogger Aisling said...

Wow! It looks great.

 
At 2/14/08, 8:35 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

I popped over for the tutorial. That pencil roving is calling my name.

 
At 2/14/08, 8:43 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

They look really good.

 
At 2/15/08, 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You shouldn't be disappointed. It's great yarn!

 
At 2/15/08, 2:59 PM, Blogger Aimee said...

Oh, beautiful stuff. I'm still working on my sock weight yarn too. You can definitely tell they had the same parents.

 
At 2/15/08, 7:49 PM, Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Absolutely gorgeous! No, you shouldn't be disappointed...but if you are, I could probably take it off your hands for ya! *wink* lol

Seriously though, it looks great.

 
At 2/16/08, 10:38 PM, Blogger Edie said...

killing me softly.... ;)

LOVE IT! BEAUTIFUL!

 
At 2/18/08, 7:01 AM, Blogger Angeluna said...

Your skeins just get gorgeouser and gorgeouser. Love Teyani's spinning method.

 
At 2/19/08, 10:57 AM, Blogger Teyani said...

Your spinning looks so lovely! And I'm delighted that my posts were helpful to you!
there is nothing quite as wonderful as handspun sock yarn, is there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home