Monday, May 19, 2008

First handspun knitting project

Look! It has only been eight months since I started spinning, and I already have a finished object to show.

cmf utb socks done
Yarn: my own handspun (from Crown Mountain Farms superwash merino, "Under the Boardwalk" colorway)
Pattern: 6x2 ribbing
Needles: 2.25 mm DPNs

cmf utb socks heel macro
Initially I was concerned that I might not be able to eke out a respectable pair of socks with my 350 yard skein, but halfway through the first sock, my worries disappeared. My trusty scale told me I had nothing to worry about. In fact, I could have made the legs longer, because I have about 20 grams of yarn left over. (Please don't advise me about the virtues of knitting socks toe up. I'm aware of the pros and cons, and I still generally prefer top down construction.) I'm actually happy to have a bit of the yarn left. It certainly won't go to waste.

cmf utb socks foot macro
What can I say? I adore these socks! (However, I don't adore them enough to model them in today's 100°F heat.) The subtle colors and the random blending of stripes thrill me to my toes...literally. This is why I started spinning.

13 Comments:

At 5/19/08, 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love them!

I guess an advantage of living in Houston is that it's not quite 100 yet! We're flirting with the mid-90's, though. Ugh.

 
At 5/19/08, 11:04 PM, Blogger Laura said...

These are so beautiful!

 
At 5/20/08, 2:33 AM, Blogger bockstark.knits said...

woohoo! they are beautiful! i expect to see more, yes? :)

 
At 5/20/08, 8:44 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

Lovely! I really like the subtle striping.

 
At 5/20/08, 9:01 AM, Blogger Jodi said...

Beautiful shades of brown! They make me want to go for a walk in the woods.

 
At 5/20/08, 9:01 AM, Blogger Edie said...

They are quite beautiful! I'm glad you didn't stick them on your feet! LOL! It was a little warm yesterday! :)

 
At 5/20/08, 6:52 PM, Blogger mle said...

Those are fantastic!!

 
At 5/20/08, 7:13 PM, Blogger Ann said...

The socks are gorgeous. You have done a fantastic spinning job! I love the subtle colors.

 
At 5/20/08, 8:06 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Very Pretty! Congrats on teh first handspun socks!

 
At 5/20/08, 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woot! Are those not your most favorite FO ever? I love them! Spin faster so you can make more!

100 degrees? Now I know where our heat wave went. ;-)

 
At 5/21/08, 2:24 PM, Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

They look like perfect socks! You can send them up to chilly Michigan, I'll model them for you.

 
At 5/22/08, 11:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So sad you have to wait till next December to wear them. Turn up the AC. I've been wearing my wool socks this week. Very unusual for here.

 
At 5/28/08, 12:02 AM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Wow, hand knit socks made with handspun yarn. What a great pair of socks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home