Monday, May 26, 2008

Too hard and too easy

One of the things I love about spinning is how relaxing it is. There's something about having fiber sliding through the fingers that I find almost meditative. Occasionally, though, I come across a fiber that just does not want to play nicely.

ek td fiber
The colors in this merino are so deep and rich that I was really excited to start spinning it. Unfortunately, the fiber ended up being slightly felted and full of neps. Full. Of. Neps. I spent an eternity picking them out.

ek td skein
Fiber: Enchanted Knoll 100% merino, "Tia Dalma"
2 ply
430 yards
110 grams

ek td strands macro
Despite all the travails of spinning, the yarn did really did turn out well, so I shouldn't complain too much. My other Enchanted Knoll fibers don't seem to be suffering from the same neppy affliction, so I think this bit of merino is just a fluke. All's well that ends well, I suppose.

After such a labor intensive spin, though, I wanted something guaranteed to be easy. Enter the pencil roving.

cmf cor fr skein macro
Fiber: Crown Mountain Farms Corriedale pencil roving, "Finding Rainbows"
2 ply
420 yards
110 grams

cmf cor fr swirl
I had never spun pencil roving before, and good grief, it was like spinning on autopilot. Spinning pencil roving is the equivalent of knitting a garter stitch scarf. In the right mood, it can be just what's needed to maintain sanity. In the wrong mood, the monotony can drive one batty. Fortunately, monotony was just what I needed at the time.

13 Comments:

At 5/26/08, 11:02 AM, Blogger bockstark.knits said...

They are both gorgeous - the Tia Dalma especially!!! Knowing the extra bit (ok a lot) of effort that went into it, makes it that much more special.

 
At 5/26/08, 11:30 AM, Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Very pretty! I love the colors. :)

 
At 5/26/08, 11:57 AM, Blogger Bea said...

THey are both really lovely. I love the crown mountain one!

 
At 5/26/08, 12:27 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

Wow - both skeins are gorgeous - the frustrating one was clearly worth the extra effort! Beautiful!

 
At 5/26/08, 1:30 PM, Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

I avoid all things spinning except for you...I have too much stash to start adding roving to my guilt :) If I ever take it up it'll be because of all the gorgeous stuff I see you spin!

 
At 5/26/08, 8:15 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Love the rich colors of Enchanted Knoll. You are doing such a great job of spinning that I am inspired to take up spinning. The only problem is finding the time.

 
At 5/28/08, 12:03 AM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Oooohhh...very nice! I love seeing the color changes when the roving is spun.

 
At 5/28/08, 6:56 AM, Blogger bookgrump said...

Gorgeous as usual! It's a good thing that there's a "brainless" option for spinning. Having to battle to get what you want is enough to turn one off altogether!

 
At 5/28/08, 2:26 PM, Blogger Edie said...

I would say all your hard work paid off. Beautiful yarns as always. See you soon!

 
At 5/28/08, 8:42 PM, Blogger Miss T said...

Yee gads, those are gorgeous!

 
At 5/29/08, 3:02 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

Those are awesome. It's hard to believe the spun product comes from the roving, it changes so much. I especially like the Tia Dalma =)

 
At 6/5/08, 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only now after spinning for a few months can I really appreciate how beautiful your spinning is.

Are you using the Woolee Winder for plying or the Lendrum plying head? Do you count your treadles when you ply? How many twists per inch do you average? Aren't my questions just so nosey? LOL.

 
At 8/21/08, 12:09 PM, Blogger Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I love enchanted knoll beautiful:)Hugs Darcy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home