Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A tale of two greens

Wow, it has been a while since I last posted. Sorry about that, folks, but I have to tell you that posting will likely be sporadic for the next month or so. You see, the Professor and I just became homeowners. Eek! So much work to do.

Anyway, you're probably expecting to see some yarn. Far be it from me not to oblige. Today I've got two very different green yarns.

aef lw skein macro
Fiber: The Arts at Eagle's Find 100% merino, "Leaves on the Water"
2 ply
500 yards
114 grams (4 oz.)

aef lw swirl2
This yarn is nothing if not subtle. The subdued green blends easily with the gray to create a yarn that could tempt even the most conservative person. This yarn would make great man socks, although my man would probably yawn at it and say, "too boring." Well, I like it.

However, it does look a little drab compared to this vivid yarn.

cmf oot1 swirl macro
Fiber: Crown Mountain Farms superwash merino, "Out of Time" (overdyed with green)
2 ply
305 yards
115 grams

cmf oot1 strands macro
This fiber was predominantly green with bits of brown and blue (see it here). Unfortunately, the lot of fiber I got had quite a bit more white in it than I really wanted. The commissioner of this yarn was very clear about wanting as little white as possible, so I decided to overdye it. (Sorry, I didn't take a "before" photo. Bad blogger!) The end product is almost shockingly green, albeit in a good way. In fact, it's remarkably similar to Dream in Color's "Happy Forest" colorway. It is indeed a happy green.

8 Comments:

At 6/10/08, 6:50 PM, Blogger bockstark.knits said...

Both are soooo gorgeous! But how the HELL do you get 500yds from 4oz??? It looks the same thickness as the CMF, but yet 200yds more! And congrats on the new house!

 
At 6/10/08, 8:09 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Lovely.

Congrats on the new house!! Hopefully moving in will go smoothly and you'll be back to fiber pursuits in no time!

 
At 6/10/08, 8:20 PM, Blogger Montreal Mama said...

Love love love that green yarn!

Congrats on the house!

 
At 6/11/08, 3:42 PM, Blogger Aisling said...

I really like that second green, so bright & pretty. The first one is more of a man green for sure, haha. COngrats on the house :)

 
At 6/11/08, 5:38 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Congrats on the new home! I hope it has plenty of room for yarn-y goodness.

Even though I'm usually a blue person, I'm completely smitten with the green of the CMF you spun.

 
At 6/11/08, 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The second green is my favorite definitely, but wow I had no idea you could dye as well as you spin. Where has this talent been hiding?

I'm excited for your upcoming adventures with your new house. I hope you'll share a photo or two of your new home.

 
At 6/16/08, 10:24 AM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Yes, it was a happy green! I love it. Thank you.

 
At 6/17/08, 1:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I liked the "old" CMF fibers because they had lots of white, these new ones seem dark.How are we supposed to see what you didn't like with no comparison picture? Bad blogger. Our backyard has just that mix of greens right now. Let's see a house pic too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home