Friday, August 22, 2008

30

No, 30 is not my age (not anymore, anyway...sigh). According to my Ravelry stash, I just added my 30th skein of handspun. That number is not entirely accurate, since it doesn't include multiple skeins in the same colorway. Nevertheless, it seemed like a momentous number to me.

In mid-July a bunch of us in the All Spun Up Ravelry group convinced Kristin to do a spin-along. Kristin obliged by dyeing up some merino/silk blend in the same colorway for all of us.

asu sal ms1 fiber
Patiently waiting in my spinning basket

This is half of my 8 oz. lot. See the personalized label? I love little touches like that. I spun the fiber up into this:

asu sal ms1 swirl
80% merino, 20% silk
3 ply
540 yards
111 grams

asu sal ms1 strands
It seems as though I only want to do 3 ply these days, and this colorway looks amazing as 3 ply. Really, I couldn't be happier with this yarn. The best part about the spin-along, though, is seeing how everyone spun the same fiber into such different yarns. If you're on Ravelry, check out the photos so far.

asu sal ms1 braid
My tentative plan for this yarn was to knit a scarf for myself since I've been wearing a blue acrylic number (the horror!) for the past two winters. Ms. Bockstark has already knit socks out of her yarn, and she's tells me that this yarn absolutely must also be made into socks too. I think she's convinced me.

13 Comments:

At 8/22/08, 5:12 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Its only half your yarn so you could make a scarf with half and a pair of socks with the other! Its lovely. I've enjoyed watching everyone spin theirs up and the different styles each spinner has.

 
At 8/22/08, 5:25 PM, Blogger Angeluna said...

Blue Acrylic???? If I see you in it I will snatch it and disappear it. Your yarn will show off beautifully in a little scarf. Or not so little scarf if you use all your fiber.

 
At 8/22/08, 7:02 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

Wow - this is gorgeous - I already ran over and joined the group just to have a chance to see more like this!

 
At 8/22/08, 8:51 PM, Blogger bookgrump said...

Ooohhhh... VERY pretty! Almost two pretty to chance it being missed! Still, those socks are nice.

I think you need to spin twice as much!

 
At 8/22/08, 9:54 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

How gorgeous is that? I'm loving silk/merino combos right now, too. But for knitting, not spinning!

I've developed an allergy to alpaca and mohair (sob), and now must knit myself new winter gear. By the end of last winter my alpaca/wool blend scarves and hats made me itchy and very red!

 
At 8/23/08, 2:35 AM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Fantastic! Can't wait to see the scarf and pattern you choose.

 
At 8/23/08, 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we are drawn to the same colorways. I always seem to love whatever it is you are working on!

 
At 8/24/08, 1:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an amazing talent for taking roving that doesn't necessarily look all that gorgeous, and turn it into something I covet. I may be prejudiced, but I think yours is the best of the bunch! Stunning! You may be convincing me to start 3 plying. Curses.

 
At 8/24/08, 12:16 PM, Blogger mle said...

Oh yes, that yar will look gorgeous as a scarf!! Such pretty colors!

 
At 8/24/08, 4:10 PM, Blogger bockstark.knits said...

socks!!!!! :)

 
At 8/24/08, 6:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Haven't seen the others but I know yours is unbeatable. Socks definitely. Hopefully going to learn at SOAR to spin as finely.

 
At 8/25/08, 12:04 PM, Blogger Miss T said...

Gorgeous!

 
At 8/26/08, 1:11 PM, Blogger Opal said...

I am so sad that I missed out on the SAL. Your yarn is to DIE for. Hopefully Kristin will do another one in the fall!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home