Monday, August 18, 2008

Catching up

Clearly I am still trying to find my blogging mojo. It's amazing how easily one falls into the habit of not updating the blog. Yes, I'm full of brilliant insights.

OK, I promised some finished objects in my last post, didn't I? Here's the first of two (although in actuality, it was finished second):

jb cb ankle socks
Yarn: Colinette Jitterbug, "Copperbeech"
Needles: 2.00 mm DPNs

More plain stockinette socks! Sorry, I know they're boring, but they're such a great take-along project. Besides, the Professor likes to wear ankle socks in the summer (if he wears socks at all), and he doesn't have nearly enough of the handknit variety.

jb cb anke socks macro
I figured ankle socks were the way to go with the dismal Jitterbug yardage. Of course, I didn't know about the yardage issue before I bought this skein of yarn, and I didn't check the label. Normally I have plenty of yarn left over after knitting a pair of socks, so I don't often double-check the yardage. I expect a 100 gram or 4 oz. skein of sock yarn to have enough yardage to complete a pair of average size socks. Apparently the Colinette people don't understand this concept. However, I can't be too upset because it's my own fault for not looking at the numbers. Lesson learned.

The yarn is nice to knit, though. As countless others have noted, it's strikingly similar in feel to Socks That Rock lightweight. Given that STR is less expensive and has more yardage, however, I see little reason to go back to Jitterbug, at least for socks. (I can't believe I just noted that STR has more yardage than another sock yarn. How surreal.)

And now for something I'm completely happy with:

asu cbm skein macro
Fiber: All Spun Up 100% merino
3 ply (Navajo/chain ply)
620 yards
124 grams

And for all of you who like to see the "before" photo of the fiber:

asu cbm fiber/yarn
(Obviously it isn't a true "before" shot since it also includes the finished yarn. I just had the foresight to buy two bumps of the same fiber.)

This spinning was pure fun. The fiber was dyed in nonrepeating blocks of color. Kristin doesn't dye these "color block" fibers very often, so I thought carefully about how to handle this one. In the end, I decided Navajo plying was the way to go. It was the best way to preserve the color sequence that Kristin had so carefully dyed.

asu cbm strands
Now, what does this yarn want to become? Socks? A scarf? Will I even be the one to knit it? Only time will tell.

10 Comments:

At 8/18/08, 6:32 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

Wow - thank handspun is so perfect - it looks commercial! I mean that as a compliment! Nice job!

 
At 8/18/08, 8:04 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

I agree that Navajo plying was the way to go. Another gorgeous hank of yarn; you've done it again!

 
At 8/19/08, 1:09 AM, Blogger bockstark.knits said...

I totally agree with you on the Jitterbug. I think it's because they are in the UK. At first it seems like it's fairly "cheap" but then if you have to buy TWO skeins then it's freakishly expensive! I also think that their yarns don't keep their color as well as STR. But it is really sturdy yarn I have to say.

And your spinning is perfection, as usual!!! Can't wait to see it knitted up!

 
At 8/19/08, 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks are nice, even if they aren't fancy! Everyone needs a good pair of sturdy socks!

I love the handspun as well. I need to get a wheel to amaze myself at the difference between the before and after spinning.

 
At 8/19/08, 8:40 AM, Blogger knottygnome said...

wow, your navajo plied skein looks so even! love the colors.

 
At 8/19/08, 12:11 PM, Blogger Edie said...

wow that is such a change from what I'm used to seeing from you. It's gorgeous. I love the colorway.

 
At 8/19/08, 4:01 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Oooohhh...the new yarn looks great! Yeah, I fell into a non-blogging slump also. But I have made the effort this week.

 
At 8/19/08, 6:35 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Lovely socks. I love knitting plain socks too as it makes the knitting more meditative. Love the colors of your handspun - what about another lovely pair of plain socks?

 
At 8/20/08, 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't beat a great pair of anklets. That darn Jitterbug yarn has fooled many a person though. Luckily I knit my first pair toe-up, but I won't buy it again either.

How do you get your handspun so perfect? I don't dare show photos of anything I've Navajo plied. If you run your hand along mine, you can feel the "bumps". 620 yards? Wow! How many ounces did you spin?

 
At 8/26/08, 1:12 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Your Navajo Plying is just perfection. I'm with peaknits.. your yarn is so perfect it looks commercial and I truly hope you take that as a compliment. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home