Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sock yarn forever

I love spinning fingering weight yarn, although I rarely spin with socks specifically in mind. My latest yarns, though, are all about socks.

A while back, my mom told me she would like some purple ankle socks. With the holidays and her December birthday quickly approaching, I realized I'd better get to it. Alas, I had no purple handspun that would fit the bill, so I picked something appropriate from the stash and got started.

cmf swm khd skeins
Fiber: Crown Mountain Farms superwash merino, "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
3 ply
880 yards total

cmf swm khd strands
Purple ankle socks—that's what Mom asked for—yet somehow I translated that request into nearly 900 yards of sock yarn. Hmm. I blame Crown Mountain Farms for selling their superwash merino in 8.5 oz. lots. The yarn spun up so nicely, I just couldn't stop at half the fiber.

cmf swm khd swirl
I'm about halfway through knitting the socks, and not surprisingly, there's still a lot of yarn left. Mom might also get some coordinating mitts and/or a scarf to go with her socks.

I had such a great time spinning up the purple yarn that I pulled some more CMF out of the stash. This time I had no real purpose in mind; I just wanted to see how the crazy colors would look in 3 ply sock yarn.

cmf swm btbw swirls
Fiber: Crown Mountain Farms superwash merino, "Born to Be Wild"
3 ply
860 yards total

cmf swm btbw swirl macro
I was a little worried that spinning this yarn as 3 ply would muddy the bright colors too much, but I was pleasantly surprised with the results I got. It's true that the colors are probably less distinct than they would have been in 2 ply, but I'm utterly charmed by the 3 ply effect.

cmf swm btbw swirl
One of these skeins has already gone to a new home, but I'm not sure what I want to do with the other. The colors aren't really me. However, I suspect the yarn might appeal to one or both of my nieces.

14 Comments:

At 10/30/08, 6:02 PM, Blogger Opal said...

gorgeous handspun, as usual! i'm amazed at the amount of yardage you got! are those 8oz batches of fiber?

 
At 10/30/08, 6:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome skeins. Better knit faster though, you've got 3 more pair in that purple lot. You'll cause a run on Born to be Wild. If you did another pound or so, it would make a lovely t-shirt.

 
At 10/30/08, 6:46 PM, Blogger bookgrump said...

Beautiful work, as usual! I can't wait to see how the anklets (and accessories) come out.

 
At 10/30/08, 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

delurker, here *waves*

This yarn here is LOVELY. I aim to spin like this, and seeing your handspun makes me want to go sit at my wheel RIGHT NOW.

 
At 10/31/08, 4:10 AM, Blogger LittleBerry said...

those are beautiful sock yarns... I must admit I always aim for fingering weight yarns more versatile than thick yarns :o) though not a purple fan I always go for purples in socks.... and I do like the 'Born to be Wild' colourway.....

 
At 10/31/08, 5:41 AM, Blogger bockstark.knits said...

they are both *so* gorgeous and can't wait to see the socks! you've been spinnin' like a madwoman! :)

 
At 10/31/08, 12:09 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Love both skeins, but the purple one is my favorite. My sister and mother both have December birthdays!

 
At 10/31/08, 7:32 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Very pretty. Love the purple.

 
At 10/31/08, 9:06 PM, Blogger mle said...

wow, that is some gorgeous yarn! I can't wait to see the finished anklets.

 
At 11/1/08, 7:51 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Mmmm, gorgeous stuff. I particuarly like the Born to be Wild. The other is nice, but I'm not a purple person. Although I did cast on a purple sock last night. Hmmm. LOL!

I'm wondering about why various vendors sell their rovings in the amounts they do. Most of them on Etsy seem to be around 4 oz, which should be good for a pair of socks. What would you typically make with 8 oz?

 
At 11/3/08, 7:49 AM, Blogger Lone Knitter said...

Beautiful spinning as always. I'm so amazed at your yardage. You're mom is going to have some lovely socks.

 
At 11/3/08, 8:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I spin either a 3 ply fingering or 2 ply laceweight. I just finished CMF's SW in Layla, which I will use to knit my GD a dress.

I love your spinning photos. Looking forward to see what you make with the yarn.

 
At 11/6/08, 8:10 AM, Blogger Walden said...

Both of them are quite beautiful!

 
At 11/18/08, 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has CMF asked you to start spinning Sock Hop yarn for them yet? I've never seen such gorgeous skeins of yarn. Absolute perfection!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home