Sunday, January 11, 2009

Progress continues

I'm still a bit behind, so I have lots to show today. Spinning is back on track after the holiday lull. A while back I signed up for the Fat Cat Knits fiber club. The first shipment arrived in September, and I have only just gotten around to spinning it up.

fck fc1 swirl
Fiber: 100% merino
3 ply
486 yards
109 grams

fck fc1 strands
The soft greens and lavender in this yarn remind me of spring. This isn't a colorway I would have chosen for myself, but nevertheless, I'm pleased with the finished yarn.

I'm continuing to attack my pile of Crown Mountain Farms fiber too.

cmf bfl sr swirls
Fiber: Bluefaced Leicester, "Silk Road"
3 ply
818 yards
209 grams

cmf bfl sr strands
Every time I spin BFL, I wonder why I don't spin it more often. The soft luster and silky hand make me giddy. And this colorway in shades of brown and dusky purple is simply awesome.

Continuing the theme of breaking out of my merino rut (at least temporarily), I also spun up a bobbin of Targhee.
sgw t hc bobbin

On to knitting... Here's the finished shot my my handspun Morning Surf scarf.
cm ms scarf done
Pattern: Morning Surf scarf by Jackie Erickson-Schweitzer (66 stitches)
Yarn: my own handspun (100% superwash merino)

I couldn't be happier with this scarf. It looks shockingly bright against my black wool winter coat, and the contrast pleases me immensely.

My sock knitting mojo seems to be slowly creeping back as well. I started knitting a pair out of the recently spun "We Are the Champions" yarn.

cmf wac socks prog
So far so good. I had forgotten how satisfying plain stockinette socks can be.

12 Comments:

At 1/11/09, 12:30 PM, Blogger bookgrump said...

Beautiful stuff! I can't decide which I like most! I think the scarf, because it shows off all of your talents. It's absolutely stunning!

 
At 1/11/09, 2:38 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

I just lvoe seeing your handspun. Such beautiful eye candy.

 
At 1/11/09, 2:48 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

Wow - what a lot of beautiful things! I think I need to cast on a stockinette sock - I too, forgot how fulfilling that is:)

 
At 1/11/09, 6:27 PM, Blogger bockstark.knits said...

This has to be the #1 drool post of all time! Amazing handspun and projects (as usual!) !!!

 
At 1/11/09, 9:01 PM, Blogger Aisling said...

Wow that scarf. Beautiful yarns, as always!

 
At 1/11/09, 9:50 PM, Blogger jen said...

Beautiful spinning!!! Love the sock as well.

 
At 1/12/09, 3:22 AM, Blogger LittleBerry said...

I love everything you've shown the colours and well the quality of your 3plies goes without saying...

Morning surf looks great and I can imagine it looks stunning against your winter coat as for the socks they're just works of art :o)

 
At 1/12/09, 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that bright orange scarf is amazing!

 
At 1/12/09, 9:20 AM, Blogger Dave said...

This is one of those posts where you start off reading and say, "wow," and then scroll a bit and say, "Wow, and then a bit more and it's "WOW" and then you get to the and "WOW!!" What a great way to start the week -- thanks for sharing. :-)

 
At 1/12/09, 6:44 PM, Blogger Opal said...

such gorgeous yarn! i was repeatedly saying successive wow's just like dave. :)

 
At 1/12/09, 7:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The morning surf scarf looks just like a sunset. Lovely.

 
At 1/14/09, 6:52 PM, Blogger Rima said...

That scarf is gorgeous! Lovely colorwave. Reds-oranges are my favourite...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home